Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Potty Humor

Yesterday, in a teaching seminar, there were fourteen of us cramped around a tiny, wooden table while my professor stood by the chalkboard lecturing about something.

I was trying to stifle a yawn when I heard her say, “One thing we do do as instructors is…”

I chuckled and turned to Henry, my office partner from Kenya, and said, “She said doo-doo.”

Henry picked up his pen and held it to his notebook with a look of great concern. “What was it she said?”

I felt embarrassed for making a potty joke to someone who really had no way of understanding it. “Never mind,” I said.

A graduate student sitting across the table shook her head disapprovingly. I must have said it louder than I thought. Henry turned to the student on the other side of him. “What was it she said?”

I’m a 31 year old PhD student who laughs when his teacher says doo-doo. Does this make me a bad person?

Miles doesn’t think so.

5 comments:

The Crazy Heads said...

I would have done the same thing, but probably just in my head, not out loud.

Drop Gallow said...

Even if doo-doo wasn't hilarious (which, of course, it is), you win major points for having Cartman songs all over your playlist.

Sometimes, it's almost like we're related...

Retired and Happy said...

Mike you were meant to be a writer. Only a dad would understand your comments. Don't ever change who you are. Mom and Dad Head

Matt Peterson said...

I've taken classes with you. I remember trying so hard not to laugh I would spit and fart and cry all at the same time over the comments we would make. I don't think it ever goes out of style.

Campbell clan said...

Do you also say "it" after someone says "shhh!"?