Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Future English Teacher

I woke up early this morning to finish writing a book review. I was plugging away at the computer, book open in my lap, when Miles, my seven-year-old son, walked over to see what I was doing. He leaned against the computer desk—pajama-clad with wild hair—looked at the screen, down at the book, and back at the screen. “You know it’s illegal to copy out of books,” he said.

“Oh,” I said, and continued typing. “Where did you hear that?”

“My teacher told me.”

“Well I’m not copying,” I said. “I’m writing about the book.”

“Hmmm…” he said. “So you’re like quoting and putting it in your own words and stuff?”

“Yup," I said. "That’s what I’m doing.”

“Good,” he said. “Just making sure.”

3 comments:

Campbell clan said...

Sounds like he already knows his stuff. Great playlist by the way.

Tracy said...

English teacher or Copyright Lawyer. Good to know the kid has a future.

Bob in Boise said...

That is the great thing about kids, it is all black or white. As adults all we ever seem to deal with are those messy shades of gray.