Wednesday, May 13, 2009

And the Award for Outstanding Teacher Goes to…

I don’t know how it happened, but I ended class a week and a half early. Last Wednesday I collected my students’ final papers, graded them, and posted their semester grades online. This Monday, when I went to clean up my office for the summer, I noticed that all the classrooms were still full. Students were milling the halls and teachers were conferencing with students in their offices.

I asked one of my colleagues about it, being careful not to admit my mistake. She said Wednesday would be her last day of class and then she’ll give her students this Friday off to finish their papers.

As I thought about it, it did seem odd when my students were turning in their final papers while I still had two weeks of graduate classes left. But I had too much on my mind at the time to play Sherlock Holmes with the schedule.

I finished cleaning up my office, but then I felt like I should pretend to be grading papers or something, so folks wouldn't realize I had already started my summer vacation.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I think you're so efficient and this proves it.

Tracy said...

Why didn't I have any teachers like you in school? Oh how I would have loved and exra week and a half of vacation. Plus, now you know they did their final papers for you first while their minds were fresh.