Sunday, February 28, 2010

Update

It isn't that I've been too busy to blog lately. I've just been in my mid-semester routine and find nothing particularly interesting to blog about. This is more of an update for the folks back west.
  • We had a wicked nasty rain and wind storm a couple of nights ago, which I found out is a cheap and easy way to wash your car (assuming a tree or raccoon doesn't fly into it).
  • I hit a pothole on the way to work tonight and blew out a tire. The car in front of me did the same thing, so we changed our tires side by side. The other driver had a much fouler mouth than I.
  • I'm still teaching technical writing, but not exclusively to engineering students this semester. It's mostly seniors in nutritional science and other make-believe majors who waited until their final semester to take the course. I made them give presentations last week, and I threatened to fail them if they said "um." No one said "um."
  • I have a third job now as a consultant for the University Writing Programs. I'm not sure yet what I do, but I put in a few hours each week in the office.
  • I won't be teaching anymore after this semester. This summer I'm taking over as Associate Director of the University Writing Programs. Still fuzzy on the details, but my office has a phone and an air-conditioner.
  • I used to hate peanut butter, but now I like it. Not sure what's up with that. My new favorite treat is "Under the Stars" ice cream by Hood. It has ribbons of peanut butter and little chunks of chocolate and I have to run an extra twenty minutes a day to burn it off, but it's totally worth it.
  • Elliot has had a fever lately. She sits on the couch looking stoned with glazed over eyes and invites people to sit next to her.
  • I find it creepy to think that while I was watching Bob Costas fly over Stanley Park with his camera-man last week, the body of Andrew Koenig ("Boner" from Growing Pains) was laying down there in the bushes somewhere.
  • Miles accidentally locked himself in the garage a couple of days ago and he's still mad at me about it. Yes, I locked the door, but he can't prove it.
  • Laura informed me I now have the physique of the Pink Panther.

4 comments:

Laura said...

The pink panther comment was a compliment...meaning your legs and arms are so sleek and panther like. That's nice right? Really I can't get over how skinny minnie you are. Jealous!

skinton said...

My what big feet you must have Mike. Looking at the Panther...I mean

Retired and Happy said...

Mike keep the updates coming. We are very interested in your life and what is happening. Last night we were looking at some old videos of christmas past and we saw you on your first Christmas here, so send us your latest photo and we will compare to see if you really are the Pink Pather in disquise(sp). Chops and Marie

Matt Peterson said...

So does the air-conditioner work?