Friday, June 13, 2008

Farewell to Dispatch

After seven plus years, it’s time to say goodbye to dispatch. I started this job because I wanted to be a cop, but it turns out I’m really not that interested in patting down a criminal’s crotch and asking him if he’s packing. Not at work, anyway. But my time in dispatch has been fun. I’ve earned two degrees, raised four children, and made a lot of great friends. I’m sure I’ll love my time in New Hampshire as I earn my Ph.D., but there will always be things about dispatch that I’ll miss. Here they are:

-Working with Tim K. or Susan for ten hours without even realizing they were there.
-Ta’ne’s lemon craison cookies.
-Teresa’s breath-amplifying salsa.
-Potlucks for every real or made-up occasion, especially with Cassie’s homemade chicken noodle soup.
-Tim R. asking what the good word is, and me always answering him literally with words like supercilious or sesquipedalian.
-Conversations that are only appropriate after 0200.
-Changing Cassie’s screensavers (we all know she’s really a Dallas fan).
-Teasing Jones when he’s grumpy.
-Larry clapping his hands and saying frickstones and coolio.
-Jerry telling Larry to stop clapping his hands.
-Larry calling everyone a slime-gooch, though he clearly doesn’t know what a slime-gooch is (KJ can tell you what it means).
-Larry ending everything in “a-roni,” as in “Go to Tac Five-a-roni.”
-Whapping people with a rubber band and blaming it on Brandon.
-Erin’s Caramelos.
-Trying to beat Brenda at crosswords, and making her feel guilty for cheating.
-Ginna wandering off for break and returning two hours later.
-Megan’s mobile candy store.
-Jeff on Sunday in his BSU gear. Sexy!
-Clinton straightening the chairs, and then straightening them again.
-Sonia laughing till she cries on primary, even when the joke wasn’t that funny.
-Link’s costumes.
-Tracey’s Sonic runs.
-Big Tim’s ability to thrust any conversation into the gutter with nothing more than a nod and a chuckle.
-The fact that Big Tim probably can’t spell conversation or chuckle.
-Cody Howerton’s man-crush on Matthew Mcconaughey.
-Larry’s crickets.
-Big Tim’s Charlie Brown costume.
-The Darigold stench.
-Blaming the Darigold stench on Brenda.
-Brenda taking full credit for the stench.

I’ll miss everyone I’ve worked with at dispatch. Thanks for making it a great time. Ciao!

3 comments:

Laura said...

It's nice to finally see a post on this blog! Dispatch has been such a blessing for our family, it's hard to say goodbye(to the paychecks) sob.

skinton said...

Well I was the 'Chair'man of the board! Classic farewell note. All the best to you and your family. You will be truly missed. Clint

Anonymous said...

Cassie and Lori miss you and want to know how you trip to the other end of the Earth went? Cassie says she will Never Ever (even if she gets paid) be a Dallas Cowboy's Fan. Hope all is well with your family. We will keep checking the blog. -- L & C