I started my pre-semester workshops yesterday at UNH. I was hoping to take some pictures of what I'm up against, but my camera just beeps and flips me off when I try to use it. It's still mad that I dropped it in the sand.
Teaching at UNH is truly an old-school experience. My office is at the top of a narrow, four-story staircase, and conveniently located next to a drinking fountain that broke late in the Carter administration. We're not supplied with computers like at BSU. In fact, we don't even get phones. My office, which I share with a nice young man who arrived from Kenya 3 days ago, has two wooden desks, two wooden chairs, two wooden book cases, and 48-layers of peeling paint, the most recent of which I call "psychedelic puke train." It's a shade of neon green that can only be achieved through high levels of lead.
When I inquired about whether or not we would be getting modern conveniences, I was told that if I stand on my desk and lean toward the window, I can get half a bar on my cell phone. There's also Wi-Fi in the building, but it doesn't work beyond the second floor.
My office partner reassured me that this was good: no distractions while we study our books. He then excused himself to the bathroom. I haven't seen him since.
4 comments:
Beg, borrow or steal a camera - we are going to need pictures of this!!!
Lucky!!!! Sounds like you are spoiled rotten over there and livin it up. Good Luck!!!
Sounds like you will fit in perfectly. Its like your secret getway from the rest of the busy world.
I think Alex P. Keaton works on the third floor. You should ask him how the rotary phones in the hallway work.
Post a Comment