I started writing a "Farewell to 2008" blog entry, but it turned into a long-winded blubber-fest about what a hard yet exciting year this has been. My sister, Tracy, wrapped up her year in a tidy top-ten list, which is what I've decided to do instead.
Top-Ten Happenings of 2008:
1. After five months of agonizing silence, finally being accepted to four of the five grad schools to which I applied. (Fie upon Purdue!)
2. Letting go of the safe and comfortable choice (University of Utah) and choosing the exciting and unfamiliar (University of New Hampshire).
3. Celebrating my ten-year anniversary with my beautiful, funny, and sometimes clumsy bride. Here’s to ten more!
4. Turning 31. 30 was nice, but I prefer the ambiguity of being 30-something.
5. Finally finishing my master’s degree at Boise State. That was supposed to be on my 2007 top-ten list, but my thesis committee disagreed.
6. Selling my house at the bottom of the housing slump (nothing sucks worse than handing over a check when you close on your house) and then driving a moving truck and mini-van across the United States at $4 a gallon. Thank you Tom for helping to alleviate the financial burden, thank you Larry for being good company in the Penske, and thank you Marie for keeping the kids entertained and taken care of in the van.
7. Buying my plasma TV. Folks who say material things can’t bring you happiness have never watched Conan O’Brien in 42-inches of high-definition glory.
8. Having my mom and my sister, Tracy, visit us in New Hampshire. We toured the UNH campus, walked through ancient Maine graveyards, ate crab cakes and clam chowder at Fosters, and relaxed on the chilly and abandoned (but still exquisitely beautiful) Short-Sands Beach in York.
9. Finishing my first-semester of the Ph.D. program. I’m not ready to talk about it yet, but it’s over.
10. Surviving the New England Ice Storm of 2008, which has reignited my love affair with electricity.
2 comments:
Mike it has been fun being a part of your wonderful year. I have enjoyed seeing your family commit to the wonderful adventure that you are on (selfishly wished that you moved to Utah) but knowing that is not where you were supposed to be. I am grateful that you allowed Marie and I to take the moving trip with you and the family, what a wonderful adventure that was.
It was good for Marie to see where her daughter and grandkids were going to be, you know that letting go part (hard on me leaving my princes) but know she is in good hands even if you eat the survival candy in the couch in a electrical outtage, I still laugh when i think of it!
Mike i am proud of you and who you are keep growing and sharing your great, interesting, and funny views of life as you see them. As long as you do that i know you are doing well.
Marie and i are looking forward to 2009 when we can be the out of towners and share some more adventures with you
Lov
Poppa Larry
One of the best parts of my trip to NH was touring the UNH campus with my son. One of the others is
my Grandchildren saying "did you shoot yourself Grandma?"
Post a Comment