Sunday, May 3, 2009
My New Teaching Assignment
I’m teaching technical writing to a class of engineering students next semester, which has me concerned for two reasons: I don’t know the first thing about technical writing, and I’m terrified of engineers. I’m thinking of assigning Engineering for Dummies. I won’t tell them it’s a joke. I’ll just put it out there and ask for a report on it, standard format, and see what they come up with. Then I’ll write on the top of each report, “I’m not sure I like your tone.” It’s good to keep them on their toes. Plus it might divert attention from the fact that I’m teaching in a distance learning lab but can’t figure out how to work the projector.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hey Brother Peterson - I've supervised those young engineers for years and I brought home some material for you. First of all, you have nothing to be afraid of when it comes to engineers. They cannot use proper punctuation, even if their lives depended on it. They use technical terms to make their papers long enough to pass the page litmus test, and to try to impress their professors with their vast knowledge (they have no idea what the terms mean). After all, why use a big word when a diminutive one will work, right? Anyway, I talked to one of our technical writers and she provided a couple of sheets suggestions, and I marked up a few pages to show what I see engineers do all the time. If you are ever over in Milton, stop by and pick them up. Otherwise, I'll bring them to church in a few weeks. Good luck!! Brother Kane
Funny and I found myself hanging on just to listen to the music. What has happened to me.
Post a Comment