I struggle to explain to people what exactly UNH pays me to do, other than sit in my office and try to look busy a few hours a week. My boss gave me a small assignment this week which has resulted in a lot of busy work: mostly things like removing staples and scanning documents--all the things that my master’s degree failed to prepare me for. In exasperation yesterday, I asked my boss if I could hire an undergraduate as an assistant to do my busy work for me so I could focus on my real job (not tipping my hand, of course, that I’m not sure what my real job is). To my surprise, he said that I could hire an assistant. Apparently there’s money in the budget for that sort of thing. I’m excited. Finding something for my assistant to do so he or she looks busy will give me something to do so that I can look busy too. I love academia.
1 comment:
The ability to look busy without actually being busy might be the single most valuable skill you acquire in school. The fact that you did this AND hired someone to help you do it just shows why you are at the head of the class.
Post a Comment